HOW TO SOOTHE YOUR BACK DURING PREGNANCY?
Over the next 9 months, you will undergo a lot of body changes that can make you uncomfortable. From mood swings to backaches, you'll encounter various discomforts and pains that come with pregnancy. The last thing you want is to add more pain by holding an awkward position or spending time on your feet. This article explains how to soothe your aching back during pregnancy.
If you're pregnant and suffer from chronic back pain, the good news is that there are steps you can take to ease your discomfort, without resorting to harmful drugs or invasive procedures. The very first step involves figuring out what's causing your lower back pain.
To prevent further damage to your spine and joints, you need to find out the underlying cause of your back pain. Here are five common causes of backaches during pregnancy as per a gynecologist in Indore:
· A pinched nerve can be extremely painful. This condition is caused by a herniated disc or degenerative changes in your joints. If you have no history of spinal problems or any related symptoms, your doctor may not investigate further.
· Pregnancy can cause a condition known as sciatica, which is caused by the compression of a nerve in your lower back region. Sciatic pain can be so severe that it shoots down below your knees and into your feet. It's also possible to have this discomfort in one leg only, the other leg being symptom free.
· Ligament pain can also cause a lot of back discomfort during pregnancy. Loose ligaments are prone to stretching and tension, which will be most noticeable in your lower back region. As you continue with this condition during pregnancy, contractions may occur, causing pain in your abdomen
· An uneven weight distribution can also be a major cause of back discomfort during pregnancy. Because you're carrying your baby in front, there may be asymmetry in the distribution of weight between your front and back body. This causes pressure on your spine, which will lead to pain in your lower back region.
· During pregnancy, you can also suffer from sciatica-type back pain due to defected vertebrae. This problem is called spondylolisthesis and involves the displacement of one vertebra on another in your lower spine area. It causes frequent shooting pains in your buttocks and legs and may affect just one leg or both.
How to sooth your back during pregnancy?
There are several ways to help ease back discomfort during pregnancy, says the best lady gynecologist in Indore. If you're in the later stages of your pregnancy, it's also possible to do floor exercises while on all fours. Make sure that the room has adequate space for you to move around comfortably. Start off by raising your arms over your head, with hands clasped together. Then, little by little, lower your buttocks toward the floor. Repeat this exercise several times, until you're on all fours with both arms and legs straight. Raise your head and chest while stretching your back and shoulders.
Another floor exercise that can help relieve back pain during pregnancy involves strapping a pillow around the small of your back. You may need help with this exercise. Simply place the pillow over your lower back, with one end of the pillow resting on a chair that's behind you. Lie on your stomach and slowly let yourself relax into the support provided by the pillow. This position is ideal for relieving tension in your shoulders as well as in your lower back region.
Another great way to help soothe your sore back during pregnancy is through gentle yoga poses. Gynecologist in Indore suggests starting off by sitting on the floor with your legs crossed, or in a lotus position. Let your hands hang from the knees and focus on relaxing all of the muscles in your lower body. You may also try out an inverted pose that consists of you lying flat on your back, with one or both legs dangling from the floor. All you need to do is relax and breathe deeply as you enjoy the gentle support of gravity.
About the Author:
Dr. Sushmita Mukherjee is the best gynecologist in Indore with 28+ years of experience as an obstetrician and specializes in infertility cases such as tubal blockage, non-obstructive or unexplained infertility (when the reason for infertility is unknown), endometriosis, up -or–down syndrome, ovarian cysts, and PCOD. She also provides all kinds of gynaecological surgeries like hysterectomy, laser surgery, and HSG and is believed to be best laparoscopic surgeon in Indore who has been well-known among the general population and her peers.
Find us on: